Manchester City legend Vincent Kompany has left Anderlecht amid Burnley’s interest in the Belgian manager.

In a statement on their club website, Anderlecht CEO Peter Verbeke said: ” Vincent was an essential part in rebuilding a renewed RSC Anderlecht. He brought professionalism and expertise and has also been important in the development of young players.

“The club will continue to build on these foundations.” Kompany added: “Today only one feeling prevails: I am proud that I was able to start this new chapter at the club of my heart. I have now been a player and a coach of RSC Anderlecht, but above all I remain a loyal fan.”

ALSO READ: Man City told ‘mouthwatering’ trio they can deploy after Erling Haaland transfer

Anderlecht confirmed that they had come to the decision to part ways via mutual consent.

MEN Sport reported last week that Kompany was interested in a return to the Premier League with Burnley but it was thought that the deal hinged on the Clarets staying up. The Lancashire club did however drop from the top flight on Sunday after suffering defeat to Newcastle United on the final day of the campaign.

Despite this, Lancs Live reports on Wednesday that the 36-year-old’s departure from his boyhood club has paved the way for him to move to Turf Moor. Burnley’s relegation is believed to have raised ‘further questions’ but both the chairman Alan Pace and Kompany are thought to be confident of striking a deal.



We want your views, Blues. You can become even more involved with our Man City coverage by signing up. This will unlock a whole host of things – including joining the comments and taking part in our special Q&As, where you can speak directly to our reporters about what’s happening at the Etihad Stadium this week and beyond.

Click here to get started.

Sign up to our City newsletter so you never miss an update from the Etihad Stadium this season.





Source link