Arsenal will not be allowed to sign Norwich City winger Emiliano Buendia this month, according to Daniel Farke, but the German boss has inferred that he may be willing to let the player go in the summer. The 24-year-old has been linked with a mid-season move to the Gunners in recent weeks after impressing for Norwich in their bid to seal an immediate return to the Premier League at the end of the season.
The East Anglian club are four points clear of second-placed Swansea City at the top of the Championship table, with Buendia once again proving a huge influence in attack, contributing to over 42 per cent of his side’s league goals so far.
He also stood out during Norwich’s short stint in the Premier League last season, reportedly catching the eye of Liverpool who were said to be showing an interest over the summer.
Arsenal have recently emerged as the overwhelming favourites for his signature, with transfer chief Edu claiming last month that a creative midfielder is desperately needed in the mid-season transfer window.
However, the north London club’s chances of landing the playmaker this month have been played down by Farke, who revealed on Tuesday that he is almost certain Buendia will remain in Norfolk for the time being.
“Nothing will happen this month,” Farke told the Eastern Daily Press. “In this business you can never confirm something with a 100 per cent guarantee but I would label it 99 per cent.
“Let’s be honest, it makes no sense for any of my players, not just Emi, to leave at this moment. It also makes no sense for us as a club to sell anyone at this stage.”
Norwich currently have a number of players on their books linked with moves to bigger clubs, including young forward Todd Cantwell and defender Max Aarons, who was denied a sensational switch to Spanish giants Barcelona during the summer window.
Although Farke’s comments splashed cold water on the prospect of a January exit for Buendia, or any of his Canaries team-mates, the German boss strongly suggested that the Argentine winger could be free to join the Gunners at the end of the season.
“For the best players in the world, or the players with the best potential, it is always the summer these transfers happen, not in January,” Farke added.
“In this month, sometimes clubs in trouble need to spend money to make something happen, or there is an emergency due to an injury.
“If you want to label Emi, Max Aarons or Todd Cantwell as some of our best talents, then you can. I would prefer to label them some of the best players with potential. But the market for these lads is the summer.
“They have the potential to play for the biggest clubs one day. If you speak about Arsenal, one of the best clubs in this country and also in Europe. They have the potential to play for this club one day, but it makes no sense in January.”
Arsenal have already been active in this month’s transfer window, acting quickly to land talented young defender Omar Rekik from Hertha Berlin.
The Gunners have also seen a number of players depart, including William Saliba and Sead Kolasinac, who have been shipped out on loan to Nice and Schalke respectively.
Frozen-out midfielder Mesut Ozil has also finally ended his Arsenal nightmare after jetting off to join Turkish outfit and childhood club Fenerbahce.
It remains to be seen whether the club will take action before the end of the month to address their need for another creative midfielder.
Arsenal will return to FA Cup action on Saturday afternoon, facing an away tie against the winners of Tuesday night’s final third round match between Southampton and Shrewsbury Town.